Thursday, November 09, 2006

Ed Bradley, American Hero, Dies at 65




One of the greatest broadcast journalists in the brief history of television has died today.

As time passes, more and more of the people I grew up with are passing away. That is, of course, an obvious statement. But it does cause me to be very sentimental.

And it also causes me to question....Who can replace Ed Bradley and Mike Wallace and Andy Rooney? I mean really?

Anderson Cooper? Shepard Smith? I doubt it. Nancy Grace or Greta Van Sustern? LMAO! Not.

But isn't what was "journalism" is progressing to today? Opinionated and biased, without the gift of questioning that Bradley, Wallace, Larry King, and other veterans possessed.

Lastly, where are the African American replacements for Mr. Bradley? Since the disappearance of Bernard Shaw, there are too few.

I do fear the loss of the Greatest Generation. I don't think my generation wants the pressure, or possesses the work ethic, to take their place.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know how you feel. It is very sad when the icons of our childhood and youth pass away. I remember weeping when hearing of the death of Jim Henson. I grew up on "Sesame Street", my mother plopping me down in front of the TV to watch the very first show because she'd read about it in TV Guide. And I was equally upset when John Denver died.

And since I started watching "60 Minutes" regularly just after Ed Bradley joined the show in '81, when I was in high school, I came of age in his televised presence. He was always my favorite reporter on that show, even more so than Mike Wallace. He was so very human, without being cloying. I'll miss him.

Cliff Notes & Sierra Nurse said...

Well said, Rob. Thanks for visiting and commenting. I'll return the favor at your place.

(I was present at the same first viewing of Sesame Street. Our mom's really knew a good thing when they read about it. Too bad the dad's were the ones playing the stock market instead of them.)